Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Halloween Part 2

Becoming dependent on the corporate world for Halloween costumes, decorations, and candy can be an example of waste in another way besides money.  It is a wasted opportunity for creativity.  

Getting kids involved in the process of making costumes, spooky decorations, and creepy holiday treats gives them the opportunity to express themselves in new ways.  It also provides an opportunity to build skills that will be useful in other situations.  Bringing their costume ideas to life involves being able to envision a plan and then collect the materials to make that plan come to fruition.  Using scissors and glue can be opportunities to practice fine motor skills.  Measuring and baking can provide opportunities for following instructions and improving math skills.

Losing these creative skills can be problematic for adults as well.  You might find yourself at the mercy of an industry that really doesn't care about you, and isn't so creative itself.  Witness the rise of "Hookerween."  Grown women are supposed to brave a brisk Autumn night in tiny scraps of cloth bearing descriptors like "sexy" or "naughty."  Now please don't take this as prudishness on my part.  I don't mind if women want to dress in sexy costumes.  The problem I have is that this is almost the only option available in many costume shops.  I also have a problem with the fact that these little snippets of cloth foisted on women cost the same amount as full coverage men's costumes.  Selling 1/3 of the costume for the same price means that these companies are making an exorbitant profit on women's costumes.  I have no intention of letting the costume industry fleece me out of that kind of cash.  My costume this year?  A (full coverage) velvet, medieval style dress from a thrift store...$4.95.

2 comments:

  1. I like your costume! And I'd bet you didn't freeze your...butt... off either! I pretty much gave up halloween costumes as an adult when I realized that it was necessary to wear 3" heels and sport gooseflesh over every inch of myself. Not fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It makes me sad to think you've given up on Halloween costumes because of the garbage being sold in costume shops. Let me know next year and I can help you come up with something fun and easy. :)

      Delete