Friday, November 9, 2012

Why Our Family Shops at Schnuck's

This next few entries will be geared toward my readers that have access to Schnuck's grocery stores.  Folks in other regions, bear with me.  :)

For those in the St. Louis area, you might wonder:  If someone has little money, or is generally frugal why would anyone shop at Schunck's?  Why wouldn't you visit a bag-your-own store such as Shop N Save, Aldi, or Sav-A-Lot?  For many years, I was of the same opinion until I actually took the time to compare the stores in a more systematic fashion.  I understand that not everyone makes the same sorts of purchases that our family does, but for us Schnuck's has proven to be the best choice most of the time.

First, with rare exception, I gave up shopping at Aldi and Sav-A-Lot some years ago.  I did a direct comparison of the items we buy and found prices to be comparable at Shop N Save.  So the idea of paying for a cart, paying for bags, and giving up selection just didn't make sense.  Additionally, I am a big union supporter and so being able to shop at a comparably priced union grocery appealed to me.  Then, for a long time, I primarily shopped at Shop N Save.  I never really bothered to try out Schnuck's because I just assumed that it would always be more expensive.  I can't say at exactly what point I decided to give Schnuck's and Shop N Save a side-by-side try.  Maybe it was due to the frustration of trying to bag my own groceries while shopping with small children that pushed me into it.  Here are some things I discovered:

Shop N Save often has prices that are comparable to, or more expensive than Schnuck's.  The issue is what sorts of food you are purchasing.  Of course, every week there are different sales and specials but in general, Schnuck's tends to have better prices on staple items.  If you are looking to buy highly processed foods like frozen dinners, hot dogs, chips, and soda then the prices at Shop N Save are better.  If you are looking to buy flour, sugar, meat, and produce, then the prices as Schnucks are comparable or better.  Essentially, if you are someone that typically cooks from scratch, then Shop N Save isn't that good a bargain for you.

Schnuck's meat department is far superior.  Prices are comparable or cheaper than Shop N Save, and the quality is MUCH better.  The meat is fresher; there is a greater variety of meat that has never been frozen.  The cuts also tend to be better, which further affects the price.  Often the quantity of usable meat is greater  at Schnuck's.  When you have to trim fat, bones, or connective tissue at home, you must realize that included in the cost per pound is the cost of unedible stuff that ends up in the trash.  We have been particularly pleased with the sausage and bratwurst made in the store.  It is freshly made, has no fillers, and no MSG.  If you are a label reader, you know this isn't the case with most pre-packaged sausage in a tube.

Schnuck's produce department also tends to be better.  Now, Shop N Save often appears to have better produce prices.  But, like the meat, when comparing the cost of fresh food it is important to compare the cost of usable food.  Schnuck's produce is usually fresher and better quality, which means that your family will have less waste in trimmings and less waste from food that spoils before it has a chance to be eaten.  I think this is due in no small part to the fact that Schnuck's has a greater commitment to buy locally grown produce from places like Thies farm and Eckhart's.  It also makes me feel good that waste is being reduced in another way, and that there are fewer shipments of food being trucked across the country, being doomed to rot before ripening.

Besides these general trends, Schnuck's also runs some very good weekly specials through Facebook, e-mail, texts and their weekly circular.  (I will be covering this in a separate post.)

Additionally, the customer service at Schnuck's is far superior to that of Shop N Save.  Some folks might not see how this is related to avoiding waste, or saving anything.  Let me explain my rationale:  even though it doesn't show up on our receipt, we are paying for customer service.  We are paying for the salaries of the cashiers, butchers, bakers, and stockers.  We are making an investment, and we have to decide what sort of service we want.  Schnuck's advertises itself as "the friendliest stores in town" and I have found this to be true.  The folks working at the registers and the service departments have almost always been smiling and kind.  They give FREE cookies to small children (a lifesaver for my crew).  They offer free knife sharpening. Some of the stores will cook fish or other meats purchased for you.  Shop N Save has no comparable programs.

And when problems have shown up, they work quickly to have problems resolved.  For example, a cashier at Schnuck's was confused about the expiration date on a "Wednesday WOW" coupon I brought in.  She called over a manager and the matter was quickly and politely resolved.  At Shop N Save, there was a special where if you bought a certain number of a particular brand of items you were supposed to get a rebate coupon.  When I didn't get the rebate coupon, not only did the clerk not know what I was talking about but he made no attempt to resolve the issue on the spot.  I had to go to customer service and wait several minutes before the problem was finally solved.  I think this isn't even necessarily a matter of kindness, but of training and experience.  I typically find the folks at Schnuck's to be better informed about not only the current store specials, but they also seem to be better able to efficiently handle special circumstances such as a charity purchasing with a tax exempt letter, or a family using WIC vouchers.

Also, Schnuck's bags your groceries and for many folks, this is a huge part of customer service.  Getting three, extremely active boys through our weekly shopping trip is hard enough, without trying to bag groceries as well.  This is also important for elderly or disabled folks for whom bagging groceries could be a real imposition.  I also got offers to help me to the car with my purchases when I was hugely pregnant, and I am sure that other folks got (and appreciated) similar help.

Finally, I shop at Schnuck's because it is a locally owned store that invests in our community.  Again, this isn't directly related to how much money I keep in my pocket but a matter of the value I'm getting for my money. I see the Schnuck's family name again and again in places like the Botanical Gardens and the Zoo.  I understand that Shop N Save also contributes to charity so I'm not faulting them.  But it does put Schnuck's above other, nationally owned chains like Wal-Mart.  I feel like Schnuck's really cares about its customers and its community, something I cannot say about Wal-Mart.

4 comments:

  1. Deleted the comment, eh?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did, because you are posting anonymously and I have no outside evidence to support the claim. I didn't feel it was appropriate to let the comment stand.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And I would have contacted you privately explaining why I made the decision, but I could not contact you through an anonymous account.

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I lived in Jefferson City, the Schnucks was in a terribly inconvenient location. But, like you, when I (finally) needed groceries I ended up shopping there. I didn't choose Schnucks like you did, from a systematic, evidence based approach though. I popped in one day for something easy on the way home and realized that their produce dept was phenomenal. I miss Schnucks.

    ReplyDelete