Friday, May 31, 2013

Time Saver: Conquering the Mess of Natural Peanut Butter.

I prefer natural peanut butter to supposedly "normal" peanut butter.  I like the very peanutty taste, and I like the fact that nothing is in it but peanuts and salt as opposed to those of "normal" that can include things like molasses and hydrogenated palm oil.  The only draw back of natural peanut butter is that the oil separates from the peanut solids and looks like this:





Photo by Timothy Valentine

No matter how hard I try, when ever I try to stir this peanut butter, I end up with a big, gloppy oil mess.  Not only is this something I don't want to clean up, but if you lose too much peanut oil, the peanut solids become unspreadable.

Now there are gizmos, such as this one at Lehman's that are intended to remedy that situation.  You screw the lid on the top and a corkscrew mechanism stirs everything together.  The only problems with this are that the lid doesn't fit every jar, so it might not work for your brand or your homemade container and you also have a corkscrew thingy to clean when you're done.

I tried putting it in the fridge before opening it, but that just created a solid mass of peanut oil at the top of the container (which is about as appealing as eating vasoline.)  And then it hit me:  I put the lid on the jar tightly and put it in the fridge UPSIDE DOWN.  When I opened it later, it was mixed perfectly and the consistency was just right.  No mess, no waste, no clean up!  Ta Da!

3 comments:

  1. I kinda like the crank thing, though. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that the crank is an ingenious bit of machinery, and might be the better choice if you didn't want to keep the peanut butter in the fridge.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep. We don't do this routinely, but yep. Brilliant stuff when we do! ;-)

    ReplyDelete