Sunday, December 16, 2012

Unwrapping the Holidays


Image courtesy of Whitney at Reviving Homemaking

As I write this, the 7th night on Hanukkah is almost here and Christmas is only a few weeks away.  This means LOTS of presents and LOTS of paper.  I'm not advocating a move to naked gifts, but if you are like me it is a little painful to spend all that money for shiny new paper that is going to be ripped to shreds and discarded.  Additionally, according to Earth 911, gift wrap is usually unable to be recycled because of the colors and textures added to it.  (You also shouldn't burn it in a fireplace or stove for the same reason; it clogs the flu.) So about 4 million tons of gift wrap and bags end up in landfills.  Here are some ideas that can save both money and paper.

Image by House of Humble
1. Repurpose other paper.  Wrap gifts in newspapers, old maps, or paper shopping bags.  For a more festive touch, you can dress these up paper cutouts, paint, stickers or stamps.  Look to old magazines for a variety of images and colors.


2. Opt for gift bags and boxes instead of wrapping paper and reuse them.  I have an old suitcase where I store all the boxes and bags from gifts I receive.  Then when it is time to give a gift, I try to find what I need in the suitcase.  I also try to buy gift bags that aren't clearly connected to a particular holiday or occasion.  That way a single bag could work for a birthday, and anniversary, or any other special occasion.


3. Consider making the wrapping part of the gift.  So you might wrap a pair of mittens and hat inside a scarf. Or you could give a quilter a gift wrapped in fabric.


*image by katorisi, creative commons



No comments:

Post a Comment