Monday, July 16, 2012

Birth of this Blog

This blog was inspired by a photo posted by my friend Kathy.  It was from a collection of posters from the World Wars that discouraged food waste.  It looked like this:


I loved it immediately, for the font, for historical aspect, but mostly for the message.  People worry about how we can possibly feed all the people that are scheduled to show up on the planet in the coming decades.  We could currently comfortably feed all the folks that are currently on the planet, plus a good chunk more with the farmland currently in production if we didn't waste so much food.  Feeding the starving isn't that complicated, we just need to stop wasting food and distribute it more appropriately.  I tracked down the source of the poster and found this great website:

http://www.good-potato.com/beans_are_bullets/index.html

Reading over all the posters made me turn the thoughts over in my mind and realized that there are a lot of things that are important to me, but that many of them are tied to the idea of not wasting things.  In some cases this includes tangible items, like food or water.  In others, this is more ephemeral, like time or effort.  I figured that I couldn't be the only person with such concerns and so I decided to start a blog.  I look forward to sharing ideas and getting your input.

No comments:

Post a Comment